February 26, 2006

Carrots

Throughout their childhood, Daddy and his brothers took sailing courses with Glenans. Sailing is extremely popular here, no doubt because there is such easy access to water no matter where you are! He's very good at sailing and he's been promising to take me out and teach me for a long time. (Strangely enough, having grown up myself in both Vancouver and Seattle, I'd never been sailing at all.)

Today was the day.

We rented a tiny sailboat early in the morning and spent most of the day on the water. The wind was light and the weather was pleasant for February. He was a good teacher too. Very patient when I pulled the ropes the wrong way and also when I lost my balance and crashed into him, nearly knocking him off the boat!

What I learned today is that sailing is hard work and takes a lot of skill to do it well. I have always imagined that sailing involved a lot more sitting around enjoying the beautiful view, but in fact there is a lot more work than it would seem! I also learned that I love it. Love it love it love it! During the drifting parts we did get a little time to relax but quickly Daddy found other ways to keep us getting exercise and enjoying ourselves that involved some other skills I have had a little more practice with. :)

I'm exasperated that we forgot the camera in the boot of the car and missed the opportunity to take a million beautiful pictures of the day, but it does give us another excuse to go back, as if we needed one. I can't wait.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ice_Princess said...

I went sailing once, my friend's father took me sailing and I got so sick. I don't think I've ever been that sick, I had to steer the boat back into the harbor in hopes that would get rid of the sickly feeling. I was a child then so perhaps that's the problem.

February 26, 2006  
Blogger Ireland's daughter said...

Maybe the water was smoother that day than the day you went sailing? I've never been prone to motion sickness though; I think some people are just more susceptible. Maybe you'll try again some day?

March 11, 2006  
Blogger Ice_Princess said...

That almost sounds like an invitation!

March 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters